Cleaning heat exchangers TAMD40B

The place for Fairline discussions!
Barry C

Cleaning heat exchangers TAMD40B

Post by Barry C » Fri May 08, 2020 4:09 pm

Has any owners of corniche 1985 TAMD40B engines used a Cleaner for raw water coolers with out removing the heat exchangers suggestion's being Redlyme or Barnacle Buster slight overheat over 3000rpm reduce throttle temp drops problem on only Starboard engine .

Many thanks Barry c

targacurt

Re: Cleaning heat exchangers TAMD40B

Post by targacurt » Mon May 11, 2020 8:00 pm

You might get an answer on the motor boat forum. There are many cracks there...

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?forums ... -forum.14/

Barry C

Post by Barry C » Fri May 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Thanks will give it a try .
Cheers Barry c

geotechnic

Post by geotechnic » Sat May 16, 2020 7:04 am

Hi Barry

I've used Rydlyme on both of my Tamd41b engines. Set up a pond pump in a 5 gallon container and connected to output pipe from raw water pump, then disconnected pipe where it injects into the exhaust and run that back into container. Left pump running for 2 hours on each engine, they recommend removing the anode from the heat exchanger if you have one. Also reversed flow halfway through to back flush the system.Dropped the temps on my engines by 5-10 degrees.

Barry C

Post by Barry C » Sun May 17, 2020 2:56 pm

Thanks geotechnic Did think of a way similar using a bilge pump but not recirculating ,just pump out the exhaust . where is the exhaust water pipe located ?? is it a metal pipe with 2 bolts on top of turbo exhaust outlet ?? .

Many thanks again Barry.

geotechnic

Post by geotechnic » Sun May 17, 2020 3:29 pm

Hi Barry, assuming 40b is similar to 41b, raw water goes round sytem and exits from outlet on heat exchanger. I just disconnected the rubber pipe here and took a 1" hose back into the 5 gallon container. To reverse the flow you can then just change the pipe over on the pond pump. Needs to run round the circuit for a couple of hours to work properly, I used a gallon of rydlyme mixed with a gallon of water( plus some in the coolers) which did both engines.

geotechnic

Post by geotechnic » Sun May 17, 2020 3:40 pm

Hi Barry, assuming 40b is similar to 41b, raw water goes round sytem and exits from outlet on heat exchanger. I just disconnected the rubber pipe here and took a 1" hose back into the 5 gallon container. To reverse the flow you can then just change the pipe over on the pond pump. Needs to run round the circuit for a couple of hours to work properly, I used a gallon of rydlyme mixed with a gallon of water( plus some in the coolers) which did both engines.