Porthole mesh

The place for Fairline discussions!
Yabs

Porthole mesh

Post by Yabs » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi all,

Can anybody suggest where to get the porthole bug screen mesh from please? I have looked at links in previous threads but these no longer work.

Also any advice from anybody who has replaced the mesh on a Targa would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Yabs

FLN

Re: Porthole mesh

Post by FLN » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi Yabs,
Try Heather Surgett from HCS, she bought all the left parts after Fairline Boats stopped excisting.

https://www.hcsmarineparts.com/

Succes,
Dick

MajorF

Re: Porthole mesh

Post by MajorF » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi
Firstly I bought flyscreen from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flyscreen-In ... 2749.l2649

Then I followed these instructions:
Basically the black rubber loop around the frame just pulls out, it’s not intentionally glued in but because the mesh is glued onto the rubber some glue gets through to the back of the rubber loop.

Stick a wide flat bladed screwdriver in between the metal frame and the rubber and push the rubber down and out. Gradually you will get a bit of it out then pull it all out carefully by hand ...

At the back of the rubber seal, you need to remove the old mesh and clean it all up ...

Once the old mesh was off I glued the new mesh on with impact adhesive (use glue only on the rubber side we dont need a strong fix) and then trimmed off the excess. Since the rubber seal can make an oval of any aspect ratio when out the frame you need to measure the inside height of one of your fixed ports and then add about 1.5cm more to the inside height of the seal before gluing.

When trying to put it back I found it a lot easier to unglue the lower half of the oval and then push in the top first. Then while pulling the mesh down, push in the rest of the seal. This makes sure the mesh is flat/tight.