Fairline 21

Forum for those owners restoring a Fairline.
portofino

Fairline 21

Post by portofino » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:26 pm

We have just bought a 1988 Fairline 21 in need of some TLC. We are new to boats and wonder if you can get a manual like the Haynes car manuals to help us? Thanks
Sue & Graham

simonsi

Post by simonsi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:21 pm

For the boat no, for the engine and outdrive then yes, Clymer publish a range around the common outdrives and engines but you'll need to carefully cross check with what is fitted to your boat to get the right one. Most of their manuals cover a huge range (eg the one I have covers 1994-2000 Volvo of almost every combination in the same 1.5" thick manual)...
Simon
Ocean Deep
Fairline Sprint
Volvo 4.3GXi

portofino

Post by portofino » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Thanks, much appreciated
Sue & Graham

enterprise

Restoration

Post by enterprise » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:24 pm

Hi Sue & Graham,
For most part cosmetic or structural restoration is straight forward & much has been writen about it on the internet & in manuals.

The best approach is to research everything before you start & ask specific questions if you cant find the answers, this forum being just one of an extensive number of forums dedicated to boat owners like yourself.

A very good source of cheap marine related gear, inc cleaning products, safety kit & replacement bits etc are Boat Jumbles, paying a fraction of the chandlery prices & often a great day out into the bargain, try http://www.boatjumbleassociation.co.uk to find the next event close to you.

Dont forget restoration/TLC has to be fun, if it's not then pay someone else to do the parts you dont like & concentrate on the parts that you do, in that way it doesn't end up an unfinished project boat.

The boat will evolve over time, dont try & do too much at once, remember you will want to use it as well as improve it so try & do the jobs you know you can finish in the time you have available, leave the rest untill you have the time.
(PS everything on a boat takes twice as long)

Lastly, congratulations on buying your first boat once you start enjoying it you will wonder what you used to do at weekends before you had it.

portofino

Post by portofino » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks, all good advice, we are sure. Boat Jumbles sound fun....

It's great to have an encouraging forum like this, just the thing when you are just starting out on something new like this. Thanks for responding to us.
Sue & Graham

enterprise

Fairline 21

Post by enterprise » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi again,
You didn't say which fairline 21 but i'm sure you would find a lot of info & support if you join this forum.

http://www.fairlineholidayclub.co.uk

You have probably already found this by google search but if not it's a good place to start with many knowledgable members.

James F-J

Fairline 21

Post by James F-J » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi

Nice to see another Weekend 21 user on here - Do you need a copy of the Fairline manual for the boat? If so I can email it to you

all the best

James F-J

portofino

Post by portofino » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:51 pm

Hello, good to hear from you. Yes please, we are going to take it over on Saturday, and it would be great to see a manual before then. Thank you very much. How long have you had yours? We believe ours is a 1988 model, and we hope that it will be fun for all the family.
Sue & Graham

James F-J

Post by James F-J » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:59 pm

Mine is a 1985 model which we have had for ~ three years now. You can see a few pics on the Fairline Holiday Club website. It has the BMW B220 Engine and Mk2 outdrive. I have the manuals for these as well if you happen to have the BMW installation - though probably not if yours is a 1988 boat? Send me a PM with an email address and I will email the boat manual

regards

James F-J

portofino

Post by portofino » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:12 am

Hi James thanks for the message, saw your boat on Holiday site, it looks really nice. We have been trying to spot any differences from ours. I sent you a pm and just wondered if you received it as had not heard from you?
Thanks again
Sue & Graham

James F-J

Post by James F-J » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:01 am

Hi

No I have not received any PM - but I suspect there is something up with the system as I just tried to send you one and it is just sitting in my message Outbox - not in the 'Sent' box - so it looks like it has not gone for some reason - guess same may have happened to your PM? Email me at:

jamesfjATbtinternetDOTcom - and I will email the Fairline manual. Do you want the BMW manuals as well?

regards

James F-J

RobertAM

Re: Fairline 21

Post by RobertAM » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:26 am

G'day James,
Would you be so kind as to send a copy of your manual as well as the manual for the BMW 330 since I have the same in my boat.
Thanks