Water in fuel of 36 Sedan

The place for Fairline discussions!
Frank Priddy

Water in fuel of 36 Sedan

Post by Frank Priddy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:07 am

Can anyone shed some light on a long term problem I have with my 1986 fairline Sedan fuel tank.
Every spring I have to empty significant amounts of water from the starboard fuel tank via the fuel water separater.
The liquid I drain out is a dirty brown colour
I have replaced the fuel caps on both tanks with new just in case they leak but no improvement.
The Starboard tank has in the past had a bad attack of fuel bug. This has been cured by repeated dosing of chemical additives but the water continues to be a significant problem.
Tanks are kept fully topped up during winter.
There has never been any problem with fuel bug or water in the port tank.

ms

Post by ms » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:27 pm

I know someone who had something like this. It was all down to over-zealous use of a power washer that was blasting its way past the seal on the fuel filler.

David Norman

Post by David Norman » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:41 pm

I have a sedan 36

New tanks , new filler caps.

My problem is with the Port side tank .

I think with mine it is the fact that the flybridge rain water runs down the side of the wheelhouse over the vent and some goes in the rear facing part of the two vent holes .

I was going to extend my canopy which has a cutout for the vent over the vent , but then you get overfill diesel under the canopy, perhaps a weather shield?

Frank Priddy

Post by Frank Priddy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:14 pm

David Norman wrote:I have a sedan 36

New tanks , new filler caps.

My problem is with the Port side tank .

I think with mine it is the fact that the flybridge rain water runs down the side of the wheelhouse over the vent and some goes in the rear facing part of the two vent holes .

I was going to extend my canopy which has a cutout for the vent over the vent , but then you get overfill diesel under the canopy, perhaps a weather shield?

Frank Priddy

Post by Frank Priddy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:15 pm

Good angle - I,ll considder this as not something I,ve thought of
Thanks

Philip

Post by Philip » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:46 pm

Here's my thoughts for what they're worth...

Are the tanks the originals in mild steel? if so the chances are the top of them could be clean rotten!!

or it stainless have they cracked at the top join beside the lugs.

The air vents don't keep out the heavy rain or spray.

The vents can let in a little moisture, but the vent hose inside (up behind the woodwork) can be checked to see if this will happen ie is it pointing up or down.

I've been here and my solution was two new tanks

Philip

Frank Priddy

Post by Frank Priddy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:51 am

A very belated thank you for your suggestion regarding water getting into my Sedan's Starboard fuel tank.
This season is the first for 4 years I have not been plagued with the problem of at least a couple of pints to drain out of the fuel filters early season.

The problem was (easy to see now I know) that when raining there is a steady but consistant dribble of water running off the flybridge cover and hitting the starboard vent.
Over the winter we spend alot of time on the boat, moored up, with the eberspacer on.
This must create a consistant suck through the vent and bingo - water in the tank.

The solution was to make a stainless "top hat" with a drain hole and fix over the vent.

You cannot believe the relief now that I have confidence back that I will not drown an engine in rough seas.

It has taken a winter and spring to prove that I have indeed cured the problem

Thanks again.

Frank Priddy