Interior wood

The place for Fairline discussions!
Borabora

Interior wood

Post by Borabora » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Does anyone know where we can get some of the woodwork repaired on the interior of our boat, there is some blooming on the veneer, or can someone tell us where to buy the exact veneer used by fairline when the boat was originally built, i know it is cherry wood but can anyone tell me where to get it.
Alternatively has anyone tried wrapping the woodwork interior ?
thank you

gerry

Richard.C

Re: Interior wood

Post by Richard.C » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:52 pm

Sent you a PM regarding this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:04 pm

Richard, I'd be interested in this too.
Don't forget to Join our new Facebook Group.
Follow us on Twitter.
For Stainless Steel letters and Fender Socks visit Smart Marine.

Borabora

Post by Borabora » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:07 am

thanks a million for the help
gerry

TYKO

Post by TYKO » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:14 am

I would also be very interested in the info supplied
TYKO

Wiggley

Post by Wiggley » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:36 am

Hi All
I have been contacted by Richard C who I believe has passed my contact details onto one or two of you.
To answer your questions about the lacquered finish to you boats. There are a few types of damage that you may see happening as the woodwork ages these being 'BLOOMING', 'BLEACHING','BLACKENING' and 'CRAZING'
Blooming normally occurs when moisture from the staining process and/or thinners from the polyester base coats are trapped and appear as milking coming through over a long period of time. This however is not always the case and humidity can play a part. Unfortunately when you see blooming occur it normally means that most of the wood will experience this to a degree.
Bleaching or UV damage is quite simply damage from sunlight penetrating the layers of polyester and polyurethane discolouring the stained wood beneath.
Blackening happens when moisture is continuously allowed to penetrate the wood and thus rotting over time.This is not repairable and replacing the affected areas is necessary.
Crazing normally occurs when the boat is of some age and the lacquer has become brittle. As the boat naturally flexes the lacquer cracks.
I hope this helps explain why some of you are seeing whats happening to your woodwork.
Regards
Wiggley
Craig Belding LYR