Fairline trim up down issues

The place for Fairline discussions!
Watersreach

Fairline trim up down issues

Post by Watersreach » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi peoples
I have a Fairline weekender 21ft which is fitted with the B220 3.3 liter petrol engine and stern leg. I recently purchased the boat and am in the process of bringing it back to its former glory. I have come across a problem with the stern leg. I can lift the leg up via the electrical switch but when I go to put it down it doesn't do anything. So I traced it back to the solanoid and found that a wire was disconnected deliberately. When I touch the wire to the solenoid the leg goes down. My problem is I have tried a different switch and it still does the same thing. Any ideas please ? I can only assume it's not the solanoid as it surely wouldn't operate at all on the down side.
1 post • Page 1 of 1

alfair

Re: Fairline trim up down issues

Post by alfair » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:03 pm

Hi,
I'm sorry to see you haven't received any replies yet regarding your tilt/trim problems. I'm also a Weekender owner but I'm not familiar with the BMW engine and stern drive. I'm guessing the hydraulic pump etc is third party supplied though. My boat has a Volvo Penta setup and I've also had issues with the tilt trim. As with yours if you supply power to the solenoids enabling you to raise and lower the drive then the solenoids are fine. It seems the usual culprit with VP systems is the sender, followed by the digital guage/control unit. With this system the sender and the box of tricks behind the guage have to work to enable current to flow to the solenoids on the pump (or relays on later pumps). I have no idea if the system on your boat has anything similar but hopefully this might give you a clue as to where to look for the fault. as soon as lock down ends I will be bi-passing the VP guage on my boat and also installing a simple up/down guage. I know the sender is good having tested it when I removed the outdrive last summer.

I noticed your question about the fuel pump in another post too. I found some technical blurb for the BMW B220 which lists it as having a mechanical pump.

I hope this is of some help to you. I have done a fair bit of work on my Weekender so if there is anything else I can help with please feel free to drop me a line.