Turbo 36 Engine removal

Forum for those owners restoring a Fairline.
silvercloud

Turbo 36 Engine removal

Post by silvercloud » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:37 am

I am contemplating removing both engines in my Turbo 36 over next winter so I can give both a really good going over and also do a lot of work in the engine bay.
As all owners of these boats know the access to the engines is not good and getting to the out board side of both engines is not possible.
My engines are the TAMD 61A's and are now 30 years old.
Has anyone else done this without removing the access panel on the fly bridge and cutting the headlining in the saloon.

Thanks

Trevor

Oisin

Re: Turbo 36 Engine removal

Post by Oisin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:50 pm

Hi There....I too have just purchased a 1988 turbo 36 and two 30+ year old engines with 2500+ hours on each. Had the survey done which wasn't too bad. Having this work work done now (which the seller is sorting). However I'd like to do the same as yourself and have them both overhauled as I'm going to be living aboard.
I'd be really interested on how you get on and would be really grateful for any advice from anyone about the turbo 36 and things |I should watch out for. I have very little experience with diesel engines and absolutely none when it comes to a boat this size (Have done a helmsman course just before lockdown). Very willing to learn though and have a bit of engineering experience from work.
I did a lot of research before buying her and these boats seem to have a very good reputation as do the engines but I'm expecting a few issues with a 32 year boat.

Murv

Post by Murv » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:54 pm

silvercloud wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:37 am
I am contemplating removing both engines in my Turbo 36 over next winter so I can give both a really good going over and also do a lot of work in the engine bay.
As all owners of these boats know the access to the engines is not good and getting to the out board side of both engines is not possible.
My engines are the TAMD 61A's and are now 30 years old.
Has anyone else done this without removing the access panel on the fly bridge and cutting the headlining in the saloon.

Thanks

Trevor
Have you had a good search on the forums here? There was an image somewhere where somebody had removed them via the doors, sliding them out on rails if I remember rightly. Whether that's any easier I have no idea, at 750KG they're not going to be easy to slide out!

Murv

Post by Murv » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:58 pm

Oisin wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:50 pm
Hi There....I too have just purchased a 1988 turbo 36 and two 30+ year old engines with 2500+ hours on each. Had the survey done which wasn't too bad. Having this work work done now (which the seller is sorting). However I'd like to do the same as yourself and have them both overhauled as I'm going to be living aboard.
I'd be really interested on how you get on and would be really grateful for any advice from anyone about the turbo 36 and things |I should watch out for. I have very little experience with diesel engines and absolutely none when it comes to a boat this size (Have done a helmsman course just before lockdown). Very willing to learn though and have a bit of engineering experience from work.
I did a lot of research before buying her and these boats seem to have a very good reputation as do the engines but I'm expecting a few issues with a 32 year boat.
I have a '89 T36, in the fith year of ownership now.
No real issues, the 61's are fairly bombproof although leaky oil coolers are commonplace.
Access for some things is challenging but not impossible, you soon get used to the frustration!
Just keep on top of your maintenance, use the boat regularly and enjoy.
As I say, nearly 5 years of ownership now, we've been over to continental Europe several times, up the Thames, east coast etc and the only problem I've had was a leak on an oil bypass valve.
A cheap and easy fix, but involved several hours of struggling due to the poor access!