Fairline Turbo 36

Forum for those owners restoring a Fairline.
  • Advertisement

Fairline Turbo 36

Postby TurboRoss » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi there

I’m looking for a replacement fibreglass radar arch for my turbo 36 . Rust has perforated through from bolts holding the radar on.
Fairline don’t make the arch anymore

Any ideas where or what I can do?

Ross
TurboRoss

Re: Fairline Turbo 36

Postby Murv » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:22 am

Is it just staining that's the issue? I'd clean it with Y10 and repair/have repaired if there are any superfluous bolt holes, rather than go to the expense of having a new one fabricated.
Murv

Postby TurboRoss » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:34 pm

Well its a bit more like bulging rust around the bolt holes to be honest , and a couple of splits on the fibreglass with rust dripping out. Its in pretty bad shape
Attachments
image3.jpeg
TurboRoss

Postby TurboRoss » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 pm

heres a picture of my new boat ,

covers over the windows have been on for 3 years .

looks can be deceiving !
Attachments
IMG_6112.JPG
TurboRoss

Postby Gyula Huszar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Nice looking boat!
I like the lines of these earlier Fairlines, and the legendary build quality means that it's worth putting them ship-shape almost all of the time. Mine has a 'multichine semi-planing hull', which lends itself to far less roll in a beam sea, it still zips along nicely at 25 knots cruise, and after hitting a 5 metre long log at speed, which didn't affect the hull (took out a couple of props though) with no hull damage I'm happy booting it around at speed in spite of the fact that we live by waters littered with logs.

People with lesser boats say that a strong hull is overrated, right up until they bang into a piling and separate the deck from the hull, or hit one of our patented semi-floating logs. I guess it's overrated until it becomes apparent that sinking from hitting a deadhead means that you're having a bad day. We'd just brush off the knock and carry on. Bang on the spares and off we go.

Don't forget to carry spare props. I've gone through 2 sets in 100 hours of boating.
Gyula Huszar

Postby Murv » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Stunning! 8)

I would personally look to have it repaired. I know it's a big, bulky, heavy thing but you can, at least, get it to somebody's workshop (OK, you''re going to need a large van or trailer, but it's doable)
It's got to be a better option that finding someone to make you a new one and for someone with the necessary skills, it's a fairly easy fix. Especially as, once indoors, it won't be weather dependent.
Congratulations on the new boat, and, great choice!
Murv

Postby Bolero » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:18 am

I did exactly that with my Corniche frame, which is a bit bigger than the turbo one. Took it off, sent to the local grp repair guy and it came back like New.
Bolero

Boat: Corniche 31

Return to Project Forum